We were very aware at Amy's of the huge problem of plastics waste in the retail industry. We made an effort as a small business to minimise our contribution to the problem by taking the following steps:
- When packing up customer orders we re-used bubble wrap, foam and air pillows that came from our suppliers rather than using new material. When needed we used paper products for packaging.
- Any materials that our suppliers sent that we couldn't re-use (such as mailing bags) we recycled.
- We used paper tape for securing boxes and plastic tape only to secure mailing labels and bags.
- We used biodegradable mailing bags to protect our cardboard boxes when shipping during wet weather and internationally.
- For small items we re-used padded bags that came from our suppliers or new "Jiffy Green" bags that are padded with paper, not plastic.